Sunday 10 February 2019

When I Missed A Local Train..


I knew some local trains were cancelled from 4th to 18th February plying from Howrah and Sealdah. That did not stop the plan.

This is the second time we were planning to visit Ambika Kalna. The last time, we ended up exploring Halisohor. We wanted to board the Howrah Katwa local that reaches Serampore at 8.28 AM OR Seoraphuli at 8.32 AM

I was ready by 7:00 AM but my friend wasn’t and we could leave home only at 7:55 AM. 

With a bus to Dhobi Ghat (INR 8/-), boat ride to Serampore Ghat (INR 6/-) holding a life jacket (I did not notice it in my earlier rides) – it is common sense that we cannot make it on time.

We really wanted IST to be Indian Stretchable Time today for selfish reasons.

To add to the misery, I got down in one bus stop and she opted to get down in the next one – consequently we lost touch as she did not know that I had not carried my phone.

The crux of the story – I reached Serampore station at 8.42 AM and happy to note the train had left on time. I could have taken the next train to Ambika Kalna from Sheoraphuli roughly two hours later – I chose not to for two reasons.

Let me be very honest here why I had no regrets that I missed the train.

First, I actually wanted to take my mother to this place because it is a pilgrim and in the past, we as a family had enjoyed our trip to Kotilingeshwar in Kolar District, Karnataka. Having seen the images, I knew she would enjoy this trip just as much.

Since today is Saraswati Puja, I was sure I cannot coax her for an outing today.

The second reason was I had not carried my phone. This has been the general practice for short trips - If a friend is with me using a phone, that is enough. I do not bring mine. But then, I lost my friend already and she must be looking for me in the station. 

I loved the morning Ferry ride – I am up for it any time of the day. Once I returned back to Dhobi Ghat, I walked till 7 Riverside road to Ramkrishna Vivekananda Mission and Math.

I normally see boys playing on the ground and we have to walk adjacent to the playground to reach the main temple. On the right hand side of the ground, we can see Usha Himmatsangha Chatranivas – a student lodge and on the left side of the ground is Ramkrishna Vivekananda Mission Vidyabhavan.

Today being Saraswati Puja most of the boys, in their Dhotis and Kurtas were getting ready to be there in the temple and obviously missing from the playground.

From outside the temple, the view of the Ganges is mesmerizing. It wasn’t crowded at all and there was hardly any noise. I noticed some boys outside the temple, some running to Goddess to place their books and be blessed with more knowledge.

The puja had started. I sat near the idol for some time and facing Sri Ramkrishna, concluded chanting my Japa mantras.

I boarded a bus from Cantonment Board, and headed home, making mental notes of what I saw on the way – Cantonment Board Office on the left hand side, followed by Sainik Auditorium  on the right. A little further away you can see St Bartholomew’s Cathedral.

So some trips are not destined to happen as you plan and some happen as if they were destined, in unpredictable circumstances.

Photographs will be uploaded soon, once I visit this place again with a mobile or camera.  

No comments:

Post a Comment