Tuesday 9 April 2019

Farms and Fairs Bring Back A Familiar Feeling


Farm Tours and visiting fairs are the two activities I am never bored of and always excited to attend them year after year. If I get a chance to attend even a local fair, I am the last one to miss it.

I am not just interested in large furniture fair, book fair, leather products fair or the art and handicrafts fair which are common occurrences every year in our state but also the local fairs.

I went to Kerala for a few days and had time before boarding the return train - What did I do in the last hour or so? I visited a local fair.

I went to Jairambaati/ Kamarpukur and due to Ramakrishna's Birthday, what was going on - A fair of course.

On the first Sunday every year, in Siddeshwari Temple near Barasat, there is fair that also hosts celebrity singers.

I attended fairs held in many parts of Kolkata - Shyamnagar, Bidhannagar, Madhyamgram, Parkstreet and the Saturday Haat (Fair) in Bolpur etc.

I mark dates on my calendar to ensure I do not miss any Fair in Kolkata, even the local ones

On the last Sunday of March, I visited one in North Kolkata. I understand even my mother used to attend when she was a little girl. Previously this fair used to go on for a full month, however now it lasts just for seven days.

Holy Mother Kali is usually worshipped during Amavasya (No Moon nights). It is an exception for the Goddess here. It is popularly known as “Choddo Haath Kali Mandir” which is basically the measure of the height of the idol here (the length of 14 arms)
I purposely clicked Goddess's Idol With The Man In Front


As the idol is so huge, there is no option that it can be created anywhere else and brought here every year. So the idol gets built and remains here for the whole year, as part of all seasons. This fair is around that idol in a small area every March.

The Growing Crowd


I cannot quiet explain why I like attending these fairs and never really grow tired of it. It is not for the merry go rides – I hardly get into those. Initially I thought it is because I was away from Kolkata for fifteen long years, I missed these simple nothings much more than I could possibly imagine.



I was also encouraged to visit because of the range of products that you find in fairs, the variety of food – I buy many items from these fairs – Stoles to kitchen items, bags to wall hangings, key holders to glass ware – not because they are definitely cheaper from the super markets but simply because these fairs are their livelihood.

Just For A Few Cents Only..

If I have the capacity to spend a rupee I see no reason why that should go to the already wealthy, if I have the option to spend it here - in these fairs.

For a long time, I believed I love the atmosphere and sound of these fairs, the high energy that people have here, the light and spirit, the life style, the products and the food.

My Favorite Corner 

Only recently it was a simple realization for me that I am mostly caught up with - just the simplicity, the routine, the ordinary approach for an event like this – It is usual work for the shop keepers there like what corporate job is for most of us – routine.

Does The Wall Hint At Something? Livelihood Is So Important, Space Does Not Matter

With that realization, comes huge responsibility – to be mindful where I show my buying capacity!! What I spend is impacting lives.

I will continue to enjoy attending fairs because it is a great feeling to be able to bring that small difference and make this a life style concept.

The Village Women Must Be Doing These In Their Homes -  Buying These Is A Statement
That is the quotient with me and fairs as it brings back a familiar feeling - of warmth, of responsibility and of simplicity.

I Bought This Salt Container

I attended one more fair in February on my way to buy shoes for myself.  We were supposed to go to my sister's house. I pleaded my mother that I will just spend a few minutes and be back. She reluctantly agreed because she knows me.

Artificial Jewelry - A Woman's Favorite Spot  (This One Was In February)

Due to paucity of time, I could not spend much time but I managed to click some shots.
Kid's Delight
The shop keepers come from different parts of West Bengal for these Fairs. This range of pickles here come from Midnapore.




So for me fairs are important - not just for fun component but to make it worthwhile for the participants who place their stalls there. 

I do not know about others but I will wait for Holy Mother to return to this fair next year same time and I will be right here waiting for her return and for the fair that comes with her arrival.

There She Stands Tall - As We Explored The Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment