Friday 8 April 2016

Series One: Kamarpukur and Jairambaati in one day

After a long seven months stay in Kolkata - travelling to different parts of West Bengal, attending fairs, celebrating anniversaries, niece's wedding, house warming, nephew’s food ceremony, finally it was time to return to Bangalore, my second home.

After almost 12 years I stayed in Kolkata for such a long time during winter. With cousins visiting, meeting old school friends, planning one day trips, being part of all the Pujas, time really flew fast.

During my stay in Kolkata, visiting Bankura is just a thought or decision away. That was the only sinking feeling I had. Another visit to Jairambaati and Kamarpukur had to wait till I am back from Bangalore.

My whole family visited Jairambaati - Kamarpukur in January so I could not muster the courage to ask them to visit again in February, before my trip to Bangalore. I was all set to do the trip alone and cover both Jairambaati and Kamarpukur in one day. Fortunately, my sister was up for the challenge too. Neither knew how we will manage the three hundred odd kilometers in a day. We were firm, we will do it. 

This is how the one day trip went.

Early Morning Departure

I was up by 3 am the day we planned to go - 12th February. I left home by 4.15 am and it was still dark winter morning, with no bus or auto plying that early. I started walking towards my sister's house hoping to get something midway. I saw a rickshaw and seriously could not figure out if he just started his day or retiring for the day before. I did not bother to ask.

Just as I reached the Bus Stop close to my sister's residence around 4.30 am, I saw her crossing the road a few meters away from the bus stop, and waving her hand frantically for a speeding bus to stop and also at me to run and board it. The driver could figure out the two women here were desperate. 

Multiple modes of communication

We really had no clue if we can make it, because the first ferry service was at 5 AM from Dhobi Ghat and the train from Serampore Station was at 5.35 AM - There were so many ifs and buts in between, ticket queues for Ferry Service, Train and also wondered if we will get rickshaw to cover the distance between Serampore Ghat to Serampore station.

Remember, we were doing this for the first time - so the ifs and buts were getting magnified in the mind.

We got dropped in Barrackpore railway station. We took a reserved auto though we could wait for a few minutes for other train passengers to join us. We had no idea when a train would arrive. The auto driver wanted just INR 60 - so we did not waste time there.

The 5 minutes ferry service early in the morning, so close to nature calmed us. Last time, in January I walked from Serampore Ghat to Serampore Station. My elder sister is not comfortable walking even half a kilometer so we hired a rickshaw for INR 20. One way Ferry ticket cost per person is INR 4.50. Unless you come here, you will not know there are still transactions that involves half a rupee.

We bought two return tickets to Arambagh Station for INR 60 each, sipped two cups of steaming tea in the station, waiting for the train. Finally when we comfortably sat in the almost empty train, we unpacked our breakfast and chatted the entire way which roughly took around two and a half hours.

From Arambagh station, last time we had used a matador to go to Jairambaati for INR 400. This time we used the auto shuttle service for INR 6 per person to reach Arambagh bus stop.

Kamarpukur 

We got down in Kamarpukur first, visited the temple, chanted our initiated mantras, bought our lunch coupons and waited for a bus to Jairambaati. We bought puffed rice with the usual fries available there to munch while waiting for the bus. The idea was to be back before 11.30 AM for lunch and then see all of this in Kamarpukur in Black and White.

You will know what I am saying as you continue to read.





Kamarpukur Highlights

The journey continues.. here 

No comments:

Post a Comment