Sunday 28 October 2018

Five Days, After Durga Puja..


We wait the whole year for Durga Puja. Well, all of us wait for festivals - to celebrate, enjoy and have fun. What is so special about Durga Puja?

For most Calcuttans, Bengali people and Bongs, whatever you call us - It is not really about devotion. It is about our love for the daughter who is coming home to visit her parents.

On Chaturthi (13th October), around ten thirty in the night I told my mother "Maa Eshe geche". This year was the 20th year of celebrating Durga Puja in our residential complex. I wore a Kurti and harem pant over my night dress to quickly go and see if she reached well. Human connection. That is all it is. 

I had been to Bangalore for a month in August and returned to Kolkata on 6th September. Since that day, I and mom have been cleaning house which is a ritual as if Maa Durga is coming home and not in some Pandal.

On Dasami (19th October), it kills you to see Maa's face just before the immersion.


Maa Durga before Visarjan (Immersion) in our complex


On the fifth day after Dasami, is Kojagori Lokhi Pujo (Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity). For me personally, it is continuation of Puja celebrations. So when I look at her face on Dasami, I calm myself and rest my mind waiting for the first full moon (Purnima)

I normally do not fast. This time I did because every year it is only my mother who fasts and I eat/ taste everything as usual. 

When we do Alpana (Art on the floor) with chalk or paste of powdered rice, we also draw Maa lokhi's feet coming into the house to symbolize prosperity entering each household

Fruits, Narkel Nadu (grated coconut with jaggery or sugar), Til Nadu, Chire Moa (Beaten rice with Jaggery) Luchi, Suji, Payesh, Khichdi, Alur Dum and the list continues as offerings.

After the Puja is conducted, we read pachali/ Brotokotha which is also read every Thursday in Bengali homes  - the story of how Maa Lokhi, took the trouble to relieve the world from suffering. By the way there is particular tune in which this is recited and it is this tune that brings the wanderer home.

While I get some good photographs from family and friends, we count days for Maa Kali Puja


Write to chaltechalteindia@gmail.com if you have a story to share about Kolkata Lokhi Puja or if you are planning a visit around this time, our team will be glad to assist you with a no-obligation itinerary at no cost.







No comments:

Post a Comment