Tuesday 12 November 2019

A Sweet Affair in Kolkata



If you have Kolkata in your list of must-visit cities, you are likely to have the following as your must-do activities here

Pandal hopping during Durga Puja

Visiting weaver’s paradise in Shantipur and Phulia

Board a tram or have a quick rickshaw ride

Visit Tagore’s abode Santiniketan 

Observe influence of British Architecture in Kolkata buildings

Experience some inner peace in Dakhineswar or Belur

Floating market having vegetable/ fruits in boats on a lake

Taste the spread of genuine Bengali cuisine 

Talking about food, how can one forget the key component of Bengali cuisine – Sweets!

Your one stop station for traditional Bengali sweets from the most reputed and oldest brands is Misti Hub.

I wanted to visit this place for quite some time. I learnt about it only this year. Now this is situated near gate number of 3 of Eco Park. Eco Park is a whole day affair because the stretch and rides can be really time consuming. I was in double mind if I should do both Eco Park and Misti Hub on the same day. Time has been a major issue all these months

On 8th November I went near Karunamoyee (Salt Lake) for my mother’s standard medical checkup and to show her reports.

A Toto to local station (INR 10 per person), then a train to Bidhannagar (INR 5 per person), an auto to the hospital (INR 20 per person) and the plan was to visit Misti hub after checkup. The wait time was long and we used that time to explore the market around and to figure which buses go to Misti Hub. I checked online and I knew where it was however I was not sure about the bus numbers that ply in that area.

After our meeting with doctor concluded around 1 PM, we boarded a bus to Eco Park, Gate Number 3. My mother was a little reluctant because she did not like the idea of buying tickets just to visit a Sweets corner as we did not have the time to cover Eco Park that day (Rides was absolutely out of question). I assured her the hub was on the road, near gate number 3. I told with confidence as if I had visited the place earlier.

I was right.

The bus stopped right outside the hub. It was drizzling due to Bulbul effect. I was really happy this wonderful concept was proposed by HIDCO (Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation), its construction began in 2017 and became functional last year -Truly it is our city's pride.


Misti Hub - Exterior


Misti Hub is strategically located and it stands so majestically tall and wide on the road near Gate No 3 that no one can miss this stop, on their way to the Airport encouraging every tourist to grab some great Bengali sweets along with other memories of the trip.

It is only those brands like Balaram Mullick and Radharaman Mullick, K C Das, Nalini Chandra Das and Sons, Gupta Brothers, Hindustan Sweets that has served people of Bengal for decades and have established themselves as leading names in what they do – Serving sweets

I ordered a plate of Dhokla from Gupta Brothers. When I asked them what was their specialty? Abar Khabo came a quick response

We picked sweets from Nalini Chandra Das & Sons who keep Jal Bhara Sandesh in different flavors – Strawberry (INR 15) and butterscotch (INR 25). We picked both to relish at home. The cover says over 190 years. Phew!!

I was keen to have baked Sandesh however I could only see baked Kalakand. I dropped the idea as I like this particular sweet in its original soft state.

We tasted Kaju Barfi from Hindustan Sweets which was available in two sizes and costing INR 15 and INR 30 respectively.

The ambiance is quiet, people checking varieties available in different shops and busy eating, either standing right in front of the counter or near the table tops placed all over. 

The hub has enough parking spaces for its visitors.

So when you are here and you want to have Krishnagore’s Sarbhaja, Joynogor’s Moya, Shaktigarh’s Lyangcha, Burdwan’s Sitabhog,  Makha Sandesh, Mango flavored Sandesh, Cream Roll, Gokul Pithe, Jilapi  – all in one place, under one roof with lots of space around the building

If you are new to the city and unaware about the history of Bengal sweets, do not miss reading the write-ups readily available there


The Write-ups

Baro Maashe Tero Parbon

This was inaugurated just a year back, on July 2018. So if you have visited Kolkata before, I think you should plan another trip just to pacify your taste buds with traditional, fusion and experimental sweets, right here and capture this experience of having sweets from century old shops


Over 190 Years
I did not have the heart to click images inside Misti Hub, as I know there are tons of videos already available online including collaboration videos with celebrities – That actually kills the curiosity of future visitors, if I click the interiors, the shops, the sweets, the information desk, the layout – what remains for you to imagine then?



No comments:

Post a Comment