Tuesday 26 November 2019

Why Do You Need To Know About This Station In Kolkata?


If you want to explore Kolkata and its suburbs as a budget traveler this station plays a major part in intercity connectivity in this part of India. Most people know only about Howrah station which is undoubtedly an important gateway to the city

How many trains ply here, how many train trips are handled here all day long, what kind of infrastructure this station has – Upper Class Waiting Room recently commissioned, Wifi, Executive lounge – You will find tons of information online regarding these.

To understand why Sealdah is the heart of Kolkata travel, you need insights from those who travel on a daily basis.

I was barely fifteen when I started traveling by local train to go to college in Dumdum (That’s right, there is a station too by that name, not just the Airport) in North Kolkata. After college for ten long years I used the local train to get to work to different parts of Kolkata – Park Street, Poddopukur, Gariahat, Salt Lake – That’s again a hint regarding how many times I switched jobs.

Most of my socializing then during the initial days of my career was in train. After 15 long years in Bangalore, I relocate back to Kolkata and I miss the daily travel journey. Now I mostly work from home and interact with stakeholders and team through mails, SKYPE and ZOOM calls 

I go to the city once a month and Sealdah still has that sweet charm of yester years. So a few days back I had some work in the city, had to buy some stuff, meet a friend to give her birthday gift and finally on my way back, catch up with another friend in Sealdah station – basically return together.

I waited for more than an hour and I enjoyed every bit of it. My mother had to attend a neighbor’s invite for a spiritual gathering, so I was in no rush to return home.

The stalls, the crowd, the busyness, the speed – nothing had changed in 17 years. It was good old Sealdah. My daily train travel routine had stopped in 2002 when I moved to Bangalore.

Why is Sealdah important for budget travelers?

Do you want to go to the weaver’s paradise? I bring this up in almost every blog of mine. I strongly encourage you to go straight to Sealdah and board a train to Shantipur

Do you want to see temple architecture? Then board Katwa local train and get down in Ambika Kalna

Do you want to see Bankim Chandra Chatterji's house - the writer who wrote some great novels and the national song Vande Mataram? Just look for Naihati local

If you want to visit ISKCON, again use the Shantipur local and get down in Habibpur

If you want to enjoy a nice ferry ride, board a Barrackpore local, take an auto from station to Dhobi ghat and the boat ride will take you to Serampore

If you want to visit Darjeeling, you have your train from Sealdah.

Kolkata October to February are the ideal months to visit Kolkata and rural Bengal One can actually plan a trip  any time of the year as it has something or the other to offer in every season - just to avoid summer heat, it is highly recommended to visit during winter months.

Apart from suburban trains for North and South Kolkata, you can get around Kolkata, using public transport like CSTC, CTC and WBSTC buses, yellow ambassador taxis, Kolkata Metro and not to forget good old tramway. For short distances, you can avail auto rickshaws.

By now you must be confident to come to Kolkata and be on your own. If you are, go right ahead and book your tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment